Saturday, January 8, 2011

Happy New Year!




Looking forward to lots of nom noms this year. Abigail is too! :D

I recently returned from a trip to my hometown - Penang, Malaysia. Had a great time eating hawker food and shopping and then eating again. It was a really different experience because it was the first time we've travelled with baby in tow. My next post might be a bit about this experience... anyway, during the trip, I fell in love with a new phenomenon : 3-layered tea! It's a drink that has been marketed by the company that sells evaporated milk so that it can increase its sales of their product. Basically, there are 3 layers - palm sugar, evaporated milk and tea. Simple. Here's a pic of how cool it looks:


See the 3 layers?? Wanna know how to make it? Pretty simple really.. i watched a video :)

Well, when I made it, obviously I didn't think about measurements at all. I just used whatever volumed glasses I had. Then I tweaked the taste. Here's an outline of my method:

Ingredients:
Ice - lots of it... especially if you plan on making this drink for a number of people.
Liquid/pourable palm sugar
Evaporated milk
Tea (i like mine strong)

Method:
1) Pour some palm sugar in glass. This should be the thinnest layer in your glass so measure accordingly. I prefer mine to taste more tea-like rather than syrup-y so I used around 2T.
2) Using a tablespoon, add evaporated milk to the palm sugar. Again, amount given is up to you. Avoid putting too much if you don't like it too sweet.
3) Add ice to the brim of your cup.
4) Pour the tea - don't hesitate. Just pour as per normal. I actually used earl gray which is what I had and it tasted great!
5) Admire the 3 layered effect!

Ta dah!


Anyway, for not much effort, this is a drink that will bring me back to a malaysian coffee shop when I feel nostalgic this year :)


No comments: